Skip to main content

One Year

One year ago today, Simon and I set off for our adventure in Germany. At that time I was 6 months pregnant with Auburn. We sold all of our furniture and stored the rest of our belongings at my parents house (thanks again). We traded in our cell phones for a webcam, and our cars for a bike and a subway pass. Instead of living in the suburbs, we live on the fourth story of an apartment building. When the weather allows for our windows to be open, we fall asleep to the aromas of garlic bread and pizza drifting from the pizza place below us.

Everyday we have had new experiences. I remember how intimidated I was of going to the grocery store at first. Now, I can communicate with the dry cleaner (who doesn't speak of word of English) to find my husband's lost pants or give directions to someone. I know that these are little things, but I consider them to be small victories. We have both accepted callings in our German ward, even though our language skills are lacking. These callings are stretching us, but I am grateful for the challenge.

We feel so blessed to be having this experience. We really enjoy our life here. Simon enjoys his work. We have made some wonderful friends. We are getting to travel and see places that we have only dreamed about. We are getting to know a new people, culture and language. And we get to share this experience with our daughter. We are grateful for all of the support!



Our first view of Germany from the plane


Right before we took off

Comments

Ashley Hall said…
I can't believe it's already been a year! My, how time flies! I can't believe our little girls are going to be a year old before we know it. So crazy! I'm so glad that you guys are having such an amazing experience out there.

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ......

We found out last past week that we are expecting .... a baby boy! We are super excited! I had a feeling ever since we found out that I was pregnant that would be having a boy. Auburn came to the ultrasound with us and repeatedly said "baby" while we looked at the screen. We are excited for her to have a little brother. We just need to start thinking of baby boy names ....

Auburn's blessing

On Sunday, November 23rd, Simon was able to bless our precious little Auburn. Grandpa and Grandma Hill were able to be here for the blessing. I know that Papi and Grandma Little wished they could of been here as well. We had an earlier visit from the Littles when Auby was just a few weeks old. Grandma Hill made her beautiful dress and Grandma Perkins made her blanket. This weekend we had our first snowfall. The temperature was frigid and there was still snow on the ground. It still turned out to be a wonderful day. Auburn was her perfect little self. She didn't cry at all and her Daddy gave her a beautiful blessing. We are so blessed to have her in our lives!

Introducing.....

Conley Berendt Born May 7th at 5:00 pm 4.1 kilos (9 lbs) 59 cm (23.2 inches) We feel very blessed and humbled to have another sweet child come to our family.