Skip to main content

Germany road trip - part 1

We have traveled all over while we have lived here, but haven't really seen Germany. So we decided that a road trip would be easier with one than with two. So, we rented a car and drove all over Germany. I was a little bit worried considering that we were within 7 weeks of my delivery date when we started, but everything worked out great

Our first stop was Hamburg


Of course, if you know us, you know that we stopped at a few soccer games. Here we are at Hamburg Europa League game. Simon finally saw his favorite player of all time, Van Nisterooyl. It only took him 4 times and 3 different teams.



Lüdbeck
It is now a little city, but it was once home to the Hanseatic League, which is a huge trading alliance during medieval times.




Schloss Schwerin
You can't tell from this picture because of our cute Auburn, but it surrounded by water and just takes your breathe away when you first see it.




Cologne
This is the enormous Cologne Dom in the downtown. It is the largest church in Germany.




Our little Auby at the Cologne game. On this trip she learned how to say "game" and "soccer".




Cochem
We walked around this charming little city on a Sunday afternoon. Simon and his Aunt climbed up to the top of a hill where there was a castle, but Auburn and I decided to admire it from below.




It isn't a fablous picture of me, but this is the first time that I ever tried currywurst. It is a sausage with curry and very popular in Germany. It was so good that I had some more in Berlin.

Simon's Aunt Kathleen was very adventurous and joined us for a few days on our trip. We enjoyed having her with us. This is all of us at Berg Eltz, a secluded castle in the Rhineland.







Landschaft Duisberg
This is an industrial site that has been converted into a park. They had some playgrounds and a petting zoo for Auburn, which she just loved. Simon and I actually climbed up to the very, very top. It took me a little while longer than Simon, but I am proud to say that I did it!






Düsseldorf
It had a really cool pier with some very interesting buildings. We spent the evening walking around the town and eating a delicious Italian dinner. Thanks Aunt Kathleen!





On my birthday we went to the chocolate museum in Cologne. Auburn loved the chocolate bunnies and we loved the free samples! We also went to a really cool cave (we couldn't take any pictures inside), then to a little city called Celle. There is a picture in the previous post of Auburn and I walking around there. We topped off the night with a yummy Turkish dinner in Hannover. Thanks Simon for another wonderful birthday!



Quedlinburg
This was a really picturesque city to walk through. We stopped and ate a delicious German lunch at a little resturant.




We also stopped by the Gutenberg museum in Mainz where we saw a real Gutenberg bible among some other cool things. I also went to the Beethoven Haus in Bonn, which I just loved.

Comments

SJ said…
What a fun trip! I can't believe how big Auburn is getting. I think she is starting to look more like you, Jodi!
Bradley L. Hill said…
Wie schön ist alles!
Adriana said…
And the jealousy mounds...
I am still trying to figure out my plans after Barcelona, but I will let you know if I can stop by and see you guys!!
Nathan said…
I agree with what Simon's dad said. Probably.

Popular posts from this blog

It's a ......

We found out last past week that we are expecting .... a baby boy! We are super excited! I had a feeling ever since we found out that I was pregnant that would be having a boy. Auburn came to the ultrasound with us and repeatedly said "baby" while we looked at the screen. We are excited for her to have a little brother. We just need to start thinking of baby boy names ....

Auburn's blessing

On Sunday, November 23rd, Simon was able to bless our precious little Auburn. Grandpa and Grandma Hill were able to be here for the blessing. I know that Papi and Grandma Little wished they could of been here as well. We had an earlier visit from the Littles when Auby was just a few weeks old. Grandma Hill made her beautiful dress and Grandma Perkins made her blanket. This weekend we had our first snowfall. The temperature was frigid and there was still snow on the ground. It still turned out to be a wonderful day. Auburn was her perfect little self. She didn't cry at all and her Daddy gave her a beautiful blessing. We are so blessed to have her in our lives!

Introducing.....

Conley Berendt Born May 7th at 5:00 pm 4.1 kilos (9 lbs) 59 cm (23.2 inches) We feel very blessed and humbled to have another sweet child come to our family.